ℹ️This feature is only available to Admins.
Secure Office is an additional, optional layer of security for Microsoft Office files that is similar to the security provided for PDFs.
This feature allows customized Security controls to specify if Word, PowerPoint and Excel files can be printed, edited, saved and/or copied. Activity is recorded in the audit trail after initial download.
There are certain system requirements that people accessing the Secure Office files need to have installed/enabled on their computer, which you can learn more about here. We also recommend that:
- All files that are not intended for collaboration are converted to PDF
- Any files that need to be marked up, edited or commented on be released without Secure Office activated, as these are working files
- For all other files that Admins carefully consider the benefits of the additional security compared to the practical drawbacks within the system requirements.
⚠️Good to know: When you activate Microsoft Office security you can control whether this is applied to the Teams/Sub-teams documents within their Security settings. The below image shows Security controls turned on for Teams/Sub-teams.
By default, Ansarada Rooms have security for Microsoft Office documents turned off.
If Microsoft Office security is turned off, Security controls cannot be applied to Office documents. Documents that don't have security controls applied to them can be saved and printed indefinitely. Their Activity can't be recorded in the audit trail after the initial download.
Follow these steps to turn the secure Microsoft Office documents feature on.
1. Go to the Left menu. Under Manage, select Settings.
2. Under Microsoft Office documents, select On.
💡Tip: If your Teams and Sub teams were created before turning the Microsoft Office security on, you'll need to also enable this feature for each team by editing the Team. Learn how to edit Teams here.
💡Tip: If Microsoft Office security is turned off and then turned back on, or if you created the Teams before turning this feature on, Security controls must be re-applied to the Team or Sub team's documents by editing their Security settings. Learn how to edit Security settings here.